The Amber Stone
Similar to people, flowers, and animals amber comes in a variety of characteristics in the form of colors and shapes. In fact, if you look really closely at any piece of amber you will find that no two that are exactly identical. The beauty of amber is that it is extremely rich in color and there is believed to be around 500 hues. The type of color amber may possess are influenced on a number of factors such as the environment, soil, resin, and water it is created from. Weather changes and chemical reactions are particularly responsible for the unique color palettes amber may come in. Nonetheless, there are colors that you will see more often than others and others that mother nature gifted to be the rare colors of amber.
What are the Common Colors of Amber?
- Yellow and Orange Amber: Honey amber is seen and sold everywhere and comes in a variety of hues such as butter, cognac, and copal. It is the most common amber found, making up 70% of all amber. Typically, the more bubbles that are present, the lighter the yellow the stone will be. It also comes in orange to citrine hues, and can be as deep as brown. Honey amber, another type of amber in this category is known as "sunshine" or the "stone of the sun."
What are the Rare Colors of Amber?
- Black Amber: While some may believe black amber to belong in the commonly seen group of amber colors, it is actually kind of rare and is believed to account for less than 15% of amber. The black color is created due to a large amount of impurities and matter found within the resin it is created from.
- Green Amber: Dubbed as "Earth Amber," green amber is popular for its shimmery appeal that is not only sought out by many cultures not only for its beauty, but for its ability to bring good fortune. Green amber, especially those deeper in shade, are extremely rare compared to the lighter greens or yellow-green amber stones. Altogether, they make up 2% of amber. This great stone also does not need to be processed. When treated with heat, this precious stone is able to draw out an even more vivid, astonishing green that can wow just about anybody. It shows up the best under full spectrum light.
- Blue Amber: Finding blue stones is even harder to find than green amber. To the naked eye, it may seem blue under a certain type of light and other others, the color may look like the typical yellow and can be quite the hidden trickster.
- White Amber: Perhaps one of the most appreciated and difficult to find stone is the white to milky-white amber stones. Altogether, it accounts for under 2% of amber found around the world, and it is much more rare to discover those that are completely pure as a majority of them contain impurities.
- Red Amber: Out of all the rare types of amber, red amber is just as rare as the blue stone, yet it also the most commonly used rare stones used in by artisans who sell amber -- and it is no coincidence either. Red amber is eye-catching to many because of its amazing and vivid hues that can make one feel rich just wearing it. Also referred to as dragon blood, only one in 200 amber stones are red. Those that are deeper in red have been exposed to atmosphere and is possibly the outcome of oxidation and aging of yellow/orange amber stones. These stones are not transparent and may be polished.
- Clear Amber: The most rare of amber colors would be the clear stone that is prized among all jewelers. It is so rare to find that many who have it prefer to keep rather than sell it as it easily can become the center of attention, especially when it is used for preserving feathers, bugs, and prehistoric organisms.
The Colors that Heal
No matter what color amber comes in, they all have their own natural healing properties that can be used to treat a lot of ailments without having to worry about chemicals. Baltic Essentials sells only pure amber of top quality to ensure problems of concern, such as back pain for adults or teething pain with babies are addressed. Anyone of any age can use amber to naturally ease a variety of conditions. Baltic Essentials sells amber as necklaces or bracelets, and its healing benefits will last you for months with results many notice within minutes.